Entering an English-speaking educational institution implies that students should not only speak English but also be able to express their thoughts on paper in a form of different written assignments and essays. For to your convenience, we have gathered top 10 tips that will help you to write decent English essays:
- Pick the right topic. Even people who have excellent English skills can come up with poorly written essays if they choose the topic, which they’re totally indifferent to. Being able to choose the right topic of your essay can make a huge difference, because if you are writing about the thing that you’re passionate about, you have much higher chances to succeed.
- Stick to the topic. Once you have selected your topic, it is essential to stick to it and not to deviate from it over the course of the whole essay.
- Read and research. When writing an essay in English, you need to do a lot of reading and research on the topic that you have selected. Although it can be very difficult for students, who have English as their second language, it is an absolutely necessary step if you want to write a good essay.
- Chose a solid thesis statement and prove your arguments. A solid thesis statement is the foundation of your essay. When you have selected a strong thesis statement, you should proceed to specifying supporting arguments and providing solid evidence to reinforce these arguments. Arguments should be well-grounded and they should strengthen, not weaken your thesis statement.
- Use reliable sources. Reliable sources are the sources, which are respected and actual: the books on the topic, monographies, scientific researches, etc. It’s advisable to use the information that is no older than 3 years.
- Follow the structure. Most essays consist of three main parts: introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion. Stick to the structure, which is implied by the type of the essay that you’re writing.
- Remember about transitions. No matter what type of essay you’re writing, you need to make sure that all your paragraphs are interconnected and the transitions from one paragraph to the other are smooth.
- Mind your grammar, spelling and punctuation. These three are very important. When you’re working on an essay draft, you may allow yourself not to be attentive to spelling, grammar, and punctuation, because on the initial stage it is important to write down the main ideas. However, you should refine grammar, spelling and punctuation while proofreading the essay draft.
- Don’t forget about the formalities. Academic world has a lot of formalities and having your essay formatted in a certain way is one of them. Consult with your tutor or your department to find out what requirements to formatting essays you should follow.
- Constantly improve your language skills. Finally, students who want to write A+ English essays should constantly improve their English language. Read books in different genres, watch movies, play video games in English and communicate with native speakers.
Good knowledge of English language combined with the tips mentioned in this article will definitely increase your grades for writing assignments.